My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Thursday, September 21, 2006

L'Shana Tovah!

I hope the new year holds health and happiness for all of you out in blogland!! May you also have a joyful weekend, filled with the love of friends and family.

It's a gorgeous day here in central Florida. The weather is --finally-- cooling down a little, after a summer of our famous heat and humidity. Last night was the first time I didn't use the air conditioner. I'm sitting on my back porch as I write this. (Ahh, the joys of having a laptop... Have I mentioned that I'm having a love affair with my new laptop? We do everything together. It even sleeps right next to me!)

Anyway, as I was saying.. Here I am on the back porch, my dog is happily keeping a lookout for squirrels and lizards, as is my little formerly-feral cat. My other cat is just enjoying the sunshine, and seems to be enjoying the taste of grass. I tell you, this cat experiences the world through her taste buds. It's no wonder that she's overweight. When I give the cats catnip, the little one rolls in it, and the big one just eats it!

I'm thankful for these moments of peace before an upcoming day of probable frustration. My new clients are driving me crazy already, and I haven't even met them in person yet.

Here's how to drive your Realtor nuts: ask for her to do a bunch of research on possible new homes and communities, and ask to meet her the following day. She rushes to do the research on homes, and emails you a map from your home to her office. When the following day comes, tell her it would be a hardship to come to the office to meet her; would she come to your home instead. She tells you she would be happy to meet at a cafe near your home (she has a policy of not meeting for the first time in client's homes, thank you very much.) She finds a cafe near your home, and even emails you a map to the nearest Starbucks. Before the appointment, which she calls to confirm, tell her that the day won't be a good day after all. Great. A wasted work day. That was yesterday, so today, I'll see what their availability is. Again.

Of course, I do have not one but two cocktail parties to attend this evening, so there's that to look forward to. I'm going into culture shock just looking at the two wildly disparate invitations: one is for a "football tailgating theme" party, and the other invitation is very formal, and says "RSVP and business attire required." How I'm going to pull this off in one evening is a mystery to me, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for you, my loyal readers! :) Hee hee, I crack myself up sometimes!

I've already been invited to three parties for next week. This really is sickening excess. I don't know if I should go, as they are all during the Days of Awe. We shall see.

Again, I wish you all a Happy New Year!

2 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Same to you my friend!
I can certainly understand your frustration with your clients. Being in a service industry can sometimes make you want to pull your hair out! Don't you wish that just once you could tell your clients what you really think of them, I know I do!! They often take the "customer is always right" to the nth degree. I think everyone should work in a service industry at least once in their life, especially during a holiday season!
Until next time...

Thursday, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Maureen said...

Where R U? I miss U!

Monday, September 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home