My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Doctrine

Maybe I shouldn't even write about this here. I don't know.
No, I'll write about it. It's not pretty, but so what. It's important.
Anyway, who said I have to only write 'nice' things in my blog??

I recently left a congregation because I began to realize that it teaches the "Two House" theory. This theory lives right next door to Replacement theology. (As you can probably guess, I'm not a fan of either one.) This is dangerous and doctrinally incorrect theology.

Greatly spurred on by Replacement theology, Christians persecuted Jews for thousands of years. Unfortunately, this cousin to Replacement theology, the "Two House" theory, has gained popularity in some (not all) Christian Zionist groups. These concepts are attractive to Christians for the probable reason that the theories give Christians a way to believe that they are G-d's chosen people. What it is actually means is, many Christians covet the position that G-d has given to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Coveting is a sin, by the way: "Thou shalt not covet.." (See that unambiguous document, entitled "The Ten Commandments," Article Number 10.) (Sarcasm mine.)

There is a growing "Hebrew roots" or "Jewish roots" movement, in which Christians are learning about the Jewish roots of Christian faith, thereby valuing Israel and Judaism, and are learning to connect the original Bible and the New Testament. I believe these are all very good things. The problem begins when some of these groups take it a step further, and embrace the "Two House" theory as well.

If you are interested in learning more about the "Two House" theory, I recommend googling it.

I don't have the stomach to provide links.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Your posts are ALWAYS interesting and you NEVER have to apologize for them. This is your blog after all, and if anyone has a problem with what you write about or believe in or feel, then it is just that - THEIR problem. I am sure that you would welcome open and sound debate and dialogue.
From what I have read in your previous posts, your beliefs are genuine and from your heart. That is what matters. There are so many people that take what is supposed to be a beautiful thing (religion) and turn it into a political agenda and make it ugly and too often violent. You do not appear to be one of them.
I for one may not be a "text book" religious person, but I try to live my life in a way that is religious at the heart of the matter - treat people with dignity and respect. I try not to hurt people and I try to do good deeds (mitzvah's) and take care of people whenever possible, often before myself.
So, my friend, you go ahead and write what you want. I will keep reading and supporting your posts (or politely disagree if so be it) and keep commenting, as long as you allow it.
;)

Wednesday, September 27, 2006  
Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

welll...interesting question.
one day, i was in a whirlwind-cleaning mood, and i started to frantically dig under the couch, which hadn't been moved for, oh, 10 years. and lo and behold, i found a crusted bagel. and thus the name was born.


actually, none of this is true, i made it up when iw as 10 for my email address and i just decided to never use anything else. the name that gives you a chuckle was made up by an asinine 10 year old.

PS: crockpot...hmm...interesting. will check into it for your sake.

Thursday, September 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home