My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Iran Sanctions

I just read that the US House of Representatives voted in favor of "extending and tightening sanctions" with Iran. This is indeed good news. The unfortunate reality, though, is that one nation (even the US) can't make much difference. The article even states as much. Also, the sanctions still need to get through the Senate's vote.

So while this is a welcome event, it doesn't change much. As the article says, Russia and China would have to have sanctions as well in order for Iran to really feel the pressure.

I still think it's worthwhile to acknowledge good news.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yaakova said...

Clarification:
The US of course already HAS sanctions limiting trade and relations with Iran; the vote was to "extend and tighten" the current sanctions.

I tried to change the wording in my post, but blogger.com wouldn't let me edit!! Grrr...

Thursday, September 28, 2006  
Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

haha, blogger's a piece of poo. why am i still here? i ask myself this every day.
good luck getting china and russia into bed with anything the US might want, as it pertains to something that might affect their trade in a bad way. i comfort myself often with the fact that no matter what is supposed to happen, we have 2 huge leatherbound books that say israel always wins in the face of adversity...
thank you for your words. i appreciate your input, always. at least i'm not orphaned by AIDS and living in a developing nation and trying to decide where to bury my 2-yr-old brother! that's another thing i comfort myself with...

Friday, September 29, 2006  
Blogger Maureen said...

It is funny how countries won't align with us, until they need us for aide.If there was a natural disaster in Russia or China, we would send money, manpower and supplies post-haste.
Go figure?
We are damned it we do and damned if we don't.

Friday, September 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home