My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Update

Hi All,
It's been a week of ups and downs.
Mom and Truffle arrived, and we (Mom and I, not the dogs) ate under the sukkah all week. That was really cool, and Mom enjoyed it. :)

Thursday was Truffle's surgery, and it was a doozy indeed. I was mistaken about what she needed before; the surgery she had is called a TPO, in order to correct her hip dysplasia. They have to correct this during puppyhood, while her bones are still soft, and the damage isn't too advanced yet. So they cut her pelvic bone in 3 places, and installed hardware. She will almost certainly go through the same surgery (on the other hip) in 2 weeks. Yikes.

After the surgery, a resident called with a progress report, and said there was a possibility they would have to re-do the entire surgery the following day, due to complications. OMG. That made for a very difficult evening, especially for Mom. By yesterday morning, the prognosis had improved, and they didn't need to re-do the surgery.

She's now at home and doing quite well, considering all she has been through. She even wagged her tail today. If I were on the massive doses of pain medication she's taking, I'd be wagging my tail, too! (Anyone need pain meds?? We have a ton!! LOL :))

I hope everyone enjoyed Simchas Torah and the final days of Sukkot. As for me, today I had a small luncheon at my home to celebrate. I had Yetta and John over, along with Mom and me. Upon request, I served some of Mom's Jewish favorites from childhood: borscht with sour cream (Breakstones, as she will accept no imitations!), lox and bagels, cheese blintzes with applesauce, honey and more sour cream than you could ever imagine, and for dessert, coffee, apple strudel with ice cream, and marbled halvah.

Health food it was not, but it sure was comfort food! Especially for Mom and Yetta, who were loving the borscht. Hmmm... I loved it all, except that. I wonder what John thought of it all. He saw me at my absolute Jewish best, and Yetta called me a "typical Jewish mother." Yes, people, this is what a product of intermarriage looks like!!!

I don't think John and I will be dating, but he could be a great friend. I think all this stuff was just a little too foreign to him, and I don't feel like holding back who I really am anymore to make men feel more comfortable. I also don't enjoy being with men who don't care about Israel, whether or not they're Jewish. (That's not the case with John, but it has been a frequent problem.)

To answer a question Baleboosteh recently posed, some of the reasons I'm not married (at age 39), are that on one hand, I "seem" more stereotypically Jewish, if there is such a thing. By this I mean that I speak my mind, I'm not a typical meek, sweet Christian girl. This intimidates most Christian men (even pro-Israel Christian men), because being with a strong and opinionated woman who is willing to openly disagree is unfortunately not comfortable for many Christians in romantic relationships.

On the other hand, obviously most Jewish guys, many of whom feel very comfortable with my relating style (see above), would not be good marriage possibilities for me because of important differences in our beliefs (read: Jesus).

The really good news in all this is that at my age, I no longer have a burning desire to get married. If it happens someday, great. If not, that's fine too. It's very liberating to be at this stage (at long last!) I also have a feeling that given my background, personality and faith, there would likely be a lot more (male) possibilities for me in Israel. I am thoroughly looking forward to investigating this when I go there this spring! I'll start dieting tomorrow!! :)

Thanks for tuning in!

8 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Y,
Your luncheon sounds divine. What a lovely way to celebrate and to introduce your mom to your friends. Personally, I love beet borscht and sour cream. It is so refreshing on a hot summer day. You can always use fat-free sour cream, as I do.
I am glad that Truffle is doing better. Too bad the poor thing has to do that again in a couple of weeks, but then she will be better then new!
As for John, a good friend is a blessing. If he was your intended (beshert - sp?)you would know that. Take the friendship if that is an option.
It is liberating to know that we are "complete" on our own and don't "need" a husband to feel that way. Sure, it would be nice to have that special someone there all the time, but hey, they are the ones missing out on a damn good thing!

Saturday, October 14, 2006  
Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Gosh, poor truffle! I hope all goes well with the next surgery too.

About the married thing... I'm confused... are you saying you believe in Jesus? Are you looking to find a Jew living in Israel that believes in Jesus to marry?

And unless you have put on like 100kg... you surely don't need to diet - no matter how much 'comfort' food you have been eating! lol!

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

I do believe in Jesus, which is the only reason I'm not converting-- (but I'm very excited about YOUR conversion process!)
If I met someone in Israel, I think an ideal match would be someone like me: a man of mixed ancestry, who also believes in Jesus. That way, we would have a lot in common. (Of course, who
knows who they'll end up marrying,
if anyone!)
Of course it would be nice to be with someone who "gets" me, and appreciates me for who I am, my background, faith, personality and perspective. I think that's what everyobody looks for, but my specifications are rarer to find.

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

BB--
Oh my goodness! I just looked at my previous comment, and it says "someone like me: a man of..."
Oops! No sex changes around here; I'm still a woman!!! :)

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

screw the men and their need for complete domination over the fairer sex! what's that billy idol song? "dancing with myself"? you can dance with yourself. word.

Monday, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Lol! Thank goodness for that!

Monday, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Hi Yaakova,
just checking in to see how things are, hope you are (all) well!

'Bout time you updated this here blog of yours!!

Danielle :D

Thursday, October 19, 2006  
Blogger Maureen said...

Y,
I totally agree with B.B!
We miss you and want to know what is going on in your neck of the woods.
;)

Friday, October 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home