My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Sukkah is up-- again!

So on Friday, John offered to help me with the sukkah. (Hallelujah! Success on all fronts!)
He invited me to attend church with him his morning, then he took me to brunch, then we came to my house and he put up the sukkah. I learned some interesting things about John, for example he's a writer of the mystery thriller genre. I also learned that carpentry is not one of his skills. In fact, it's fascinating to me that the sukkah is still standing five minutes after his departure.

My first tip-off that he's not headed for a successful career in the building trades: even though I bought an electric drill, and had drill bits and screws assembled for just this purpose, he requested a hammer and proceeded to pound all the screws into the wood! Then he was frustrated because the screws didn't want to stay put. I didn't say to him, Well, DUH, that's what happens when you hammer in screws, thereby enlarging the holes (but believe me, I was definitely thinking that at nearly audible levels)!!

For some reason, he opted not to use the brackets. At all. I am not sure what his reasoning was. At this point, if I'm to use his abilities as a handy person around the house as my guide (which is probably not advisable, come to think of it), I will definitely not be choosing to date him.

I'm sure that if we had reversed our roles; if I had been the project manager and he had been the helper, the sukkah would be a lot more secure at this very moment. But that was sadly not the case. There are some women who are adept at the skill of allowing a man to feel like he's in charge while simultaneously telling him what to do. I am not one of those women. To my chagrin, that skill has evaded me completely. I would probably be happily married right now if I had that skill.

I will try to post a picture of John with the wobbly sukkah's bare-bones structure in a moment (if blogger.com cooperates, which it definitely has not been concerning the posting of pictures...)

If John is reading this, thank you very much for helping me put up the sukkah. It's the thought that counts. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home