My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Friday, October 06, 2006

Sukkah How-To

Amazingly, my sukkah just got built in under 1.5 hours! It's still upside-down, awaiting any kind soul who will help me flip it over, but it's built. I'll buy batteries for my camera today!!
Here are some pointers:
  • If shalom bayis is important to you, don't build a your own sukkah.
  • Build your sukkah either alone or with someone you dislike, because you are likely to harm them, probably intentionally.
  • For added challenge and frustration, build a sukkah according to its (many!) talmudic laws.
  • Get twice as many brackets as you think you'll need, because let me tell you, you figured WRONG in your calculations.
  • Buy wood reinforcements for the top, unless you want the added excitement of palm fronds and lumber falling on you.


Sukkah Reflections:
I no longer feel bad for Jewish kids who don't have Christmas trees. Like putting up a Christmas tree, building a sukkah has all the memory-building capacity and potential for family blow-ups that Christians enjoy just a couple months later! Funny enough, both involve branches and trees, and often include twinkly lights and decorations.
There is, however, one big difference: having a Christmas tree started as a pagan practice and was later incorporated into Christianity, whereas building a Sukkah is commanded by God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home