My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Thursday, October 05, 2006

It was a fun day!

That's me, on the left.


Today I played hooky from work. A couple of my friends in Mount Dora, which is a charming town near Orlando, invited me to come up. So I got a very excited Angel into the back seat and we were off for a day of friends, food, and houseboating! They are friends of my family, and are also my clients, but it was mostly just a really fun day. The great thing was that with my new laptop, I actually did get a little work done, too!

First we went to lunch at a (dog-friendly) riverside restaurant, then got our three dogs onto the houseboat, and we were off! The dogs had a ball, as always. :) Angel would have jumped right off the boat in pursuit of ducks if I had let her. It was gorgeous weather, sunny with a breeze, and we leisurely made our way to another dog-friendly riverside restaurant (gotta love Florida's new canine laws!), tied up at the dock, and saw it: the alligator.

He was about 5 feet long, so probably wasn't really that dangerous. But having 3 dogs (two of them little dogs) and a gator staring us down from literally 6 feet away from us was unnerving, to say the least. My friends said it wasn't a big deal, so I told them they might feel differently if we switched seats, since my chair was right by the edge of the dock (and thus, the alligator). They laughed, but I noticed that neither of them volunteered to switch with me...

The gator stared at us for oh, around an hour and a half, during which my friends told happy tales of fatal alligator incidents and such, and I really tried to concentrate on the conversation! This was made very difficult by the knowledge that a gator was literally poised to eat either me or one of our dogs, whichever got close enough first. Amazingly, I pulled out my computer and conducted internet home searches for one of my friends (he's an investor). They liked my new, relaxed business style; working while dining on the river with our dogs! Nice work if you can get it. :)

It was a great day, and now I'm back home with one very tired dog!

7 Comments:

Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

GAH, GATORS! i remember seeing this movie called, "alligator..." it was pretty crap, but it scared the daylights out of me, and i remember sleeping in my parents' room for half the summer because of that stupid gator. my logic was that if the alligator were to come up the stairs, it would eat my parents first, then me....yes, i'm still that self-centered.

btw, i am LOVING the sukkah-making plans. it's wunnerful. maybe we'll meet up someday in the streets of jerusalem and then we'll go find some fallen branches and make a little house out of them. you GO girl.

Thursday, October 05, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Bagel,
Thanks! Great idea about making a sukkah in Jerusalem. With the price of homes there, I may have to live in it as my primary residence!
:)

Friday, October 06, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Huh. I see that blogger.com still hasn't put up the photos. I've posted them twice!

Friday, October 06, 2006  
Blogger Maureen said...

What a glorious day! I am sooooo jealous! Except for the gator business - ICK!
How's the Sukkah coming along?

Friday, October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

post the pix! :)

Friday, October 06, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

I have posted 5 pictures, but for some reason only one wants to be published.

Friday, October 06, 2006  
Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Have a look at you! Why are you not married woman??
:D

Monday, October 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home