My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Has Hollywood become openly observant?

Let me preface this post with a little personal update:

I did a boatload of weeding in the garden this morning, and hurt my back in the process. It's now almost 2 p.m., and I'm back in bed after taking a whole Clonazepam, 3 Advils and tucking an ice pack under myself. So if I seem a little loopy, well, it's because I am.

My goal is to feel better by this evening, as I was invited to attend Yom Kippur services (tonight and tomorrow), and a pot-luck "break-the-fast." So I have to feel better within a few hours. Missing tonight's service is not an option!

Another item: for the break-the-fast, I did the absolutely inconceivable: I volunteered to bring the chopped liver!!! What was I thinking?! I love to cook, and to get positive reactions to my culinary creations. So why in the world would I sign up to bring the one thing everyone will avoid like the plague? And I signed up for it on Friday, so I can't even blame the lapse in judgement on my current drug-induced condition!! To top it off, where will I be able to buy schmaltz (that artery-clogging friend of cardiologists, which all the authentic recipes call for)? I think I'll end up making my own. To be honest, I didn't even know until this week that there was a demand for schmaltz. I thought cooks just rendered it themselves.

Okay, enough of my tangents. The original reason for this post was that I noticed that many major TV networks appear to have suspended their programming this evening from 8 p.m. forward. Is this just a technical glitch, or has Hollywood actually taken a stand for Yom Kippur?? Any information about this --or a delivery of schmaltz-- would be welcome!
You all know that I'd never be so uninhibited if I weren't on muscle relaxants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home