My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Friday, September 29, 2006

Why?

As I was driving home this afternoon, I did a double-take. There was a sign next to the road with the words 'NO WAR' next to a large swastika. I turned the car around and removed the sign, which is now in the trunk of my car.

It was hand-written (and drawn) in huge capital letters. Unfortunately, I still can't use my camera. Not that anyone needs to see something like this anyway. It was at the side of a major road, State Road 436.

My question is, Why? Why did someone put a swastika of all things on a sign if they are in opposition to war? And 'no' to which war? Does the person oppose war in general, or just to the current US war in Iraq? And who did this? Rednecks, which we have plenty of here? Muslims? I don't get it.

You hear about ignorant people sometimes, who don't know the significance of the swastika. But I confess that I never believe these people are completely ignorant, as they often claim to be.

I don't know what to do with the sign. Maybe I'll just paint it black and throw it away. It's not something that anyone wants to deal with, especially at this time of year. It's upsetting. How could this happen, 15 seconds drive from my home?

5 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Thanks for taking the time to take it down. Most people would complain about it, but, still leave it. Painting over it and throwing it out sounds like the best idea. Trying to come up with a rational reason irrational people do something is an exercise in futility.

Saturday, September 30, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Maureen,
Thanks for your advice. You're so right that it's an 'exercise in futility' to try and understand. I guess it was just hard not to question when faced with something so jarring.

Saturday, September 30, 2006  
Blogger Toto said...

Yaakova, I used to live in the big O, on 436 actually, south near the airport. It was my first teaching job, I was there for less than a year.

Anyway, I found the ignorance towards Judaism and anything "foreign" was astounding.

I'm sorry you saw what you did, but glad you did what you did. Changing the world, one sign at a time!

Saturday, September 30, 2006  
Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

you could paint over it and turn it into a big heart with a smiley face and shoes on and then put it back up?

i would laugh if i saw it.

kudos for the good samaritan work either way;]

Saturday, September 30, 2006  
Blogger Maureen said...

oh, oh I love Bagel's idea! Only take it a step or two further and paint a huge Jewish Star and wishes for a sweet and PEACEFUL New Year. And add a thank you to those that donated the sign material!!

Saturday, September 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home