My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Monday, October 23, 2006

Another update

Hi All, and sorry for my longish blog absence.
It was a busy week. Caring for Truffle --plus Angel, Indy and Monaco has turned my home into quite the fragile ecosystem! Here's how it all goes:

Truffle has to wear booties (which we made, and she loves to remove) when walking on my terrazzo floors. In addition to booties, I put down that ugly non-slip gripper stuff everywhere there aren't carpets, because it's imperative for her healing that Truffle doesn't slip. There are also now 3 barricades inside my house, so she won't wander from room to room. It looks like indoor pastures. Truffle is still a puppy, so she keeps trying to charge at the cats, and frightens them. They dislike being in the room with her, so I keep them all separated with the barricades. But Truffle barks if I leave her alone, and Angel whines if left alone with her. The only way to keep the peace is for me to keep both of them with me ALL THE TIME.
Truffle and Angel keep trying to rough-house, 2 or 3 times a day, and I live in fear that her surgery will be made ineffective because of their playing. And she likes to do weird things. Twice, she's climbed into the bathtub. (Why?) Yesterday, she leaped onto my desk, when I had to seclude her in my office so she'd calm down. I'm terrified of admitting this to the vet. (I did arrive in time to safely remove her from atop the desk.)

In other news, Mom and I got along better than ever before. Not a single real fight in 2 weeks-- that is definitely some kind of record for us. I reiterated to her that she's always welcome to come and live with me, and she actually didn't recoil in horror! That's real progress.
She's now in Africa, but last week, we were also busy having lunches and dinners with our friends. This is important because her friends often become my clients. we went to 4 such engagements. It was a very expensive week all around.

And you really wouldn't believe me if I told you how many times we went to WalMart! Try EVERY DAY... Mom kept remembering items she needed for her (deluxe, all expenses included) African safari, so WalMart became our second home. What happened to my glamorous life?! I want it back!!

Last night I had a dinner at my home, which I was really too tired to prepare, so I took the whole day to make it. It wasn't attended as well as I had planned, so I have about a ton of (fattening) leftovers in my fridge. Such is life.

I'm now off to my subdivision's Annual Meeting, and for once I don't even mind going. I'm the 1st vice president of the neighborhood association, and I'm not accepting the position again this year. They finally found someone to replace me (HOORAY!!), so I don't even have to feel guilty!! Since this will be my last mandatory appearance, I won't begrudge those stodgy characters the waste of 3 more hours of my time. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

walmart...i spit at its money-grubbing, sweatshop-employing name (well...until it's time to develop photos or buy lipgloss, that is...then it's my savior).

Monday, October 23, 2006  
Blogger Toto said...

you spit at it and call it unglamorous till you can't run in and pick up a toy for a birthday party, saran wrap, tampons for well, you know, a new jogbra, and Thomas the tank engine sneakers, school supplies, digital pictures and some new socks ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

....I miss my shopping freedom!....

Wednesday, October 25, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Bagelchick and EmahS--
Ahh, this proves that conflicted feelings about WalMart abound all over the world! The incredible thing is that I buy groceries there, too. It's just so convenient and CHEAP!!!
But EmahS: What you lost in convenience, you gained in living out your life's purpose in Eretz Yisrael. Ultimately, not a bad trade at all!!
Are there any "big box" stores in Israel?

Thursday, October 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home