My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Monday, October 30, 2006

Damn

He wasn't wearing a ring.

I never even thought to ask.

He certainly doesn't act married.

He took me out to lunch, we had a lovely time, then we walked through the park, sat, and talked. That's when he dropped the bomb: he wants to be closer to me, to touch me, to be totally open with me, yada yada, then: he's in a "broken marriage."

For your information, Alain: a broken marriage is one in which there has been a divorce. Not one in which you still live with your wife and nine-year-old son, and your mother-in-law, a Holocaust survivor, lives next door.

He wants to be with me, feels close to me, but recognizes that I deserve to know the truth, to make my own decision. He said he's only staying in the marriage until his son is old enough to emotionally handle a divorce. (Is there ever a time when children can handle their parents' divorce?)

I told him that no, of course I couldn't be involved with a married man. The circumstances of his marriage and his unhappiness in it are not for me to involve myself in. I told him he's doing the right thing by remaining married; he made a decision and he should stay with it. That he owes it to his son, if to no one else.

While I know that some marriages aren't worth keeping, I'm certainly not going to give anyone rationalization for an affair, or tell someone they should get a divorce. Obviously.

I don't plan to see him or talk with him again. I told him we'd remain friends-- but I know we won't. It's all raw right now. Thank you, Baleboosteh and EmahS, for your kind words. I know you'll be sad right along with me.

Ouch.

7 Comments:

Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

WOW! i'm so sorry. what a prick.
you're so wonderful, even the married ones are after you!

Monday, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Thanks, Bagel!
*sniff* you made me feel a little better. I really enjoyed the date, up until the moment he told me...

Wish I had it in me to feel like he's a pr**k.

And to think I even wore my contact lenses and used eyeliner, eye shadow, and mascara!

What a waste of good makeup.

Monday, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Oh, Yaakova... I'm sooo sorry. I do feel really sad for you right now. It must be very dissappointing for you.

I am so proud of you though for making the decision you have and not involved yourself with him and his 'situation' no matter how keen you were on him in the first place.

I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover, I am glad you found out before it went any further.

You deserve sooo much better than some slime bag like that.

Thinking of you
xx

Monday, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

BB-
Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. You really helped me feel better.

I don't know what I'd do without my blog friends at the moment!

Monday, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Maureen said...

Yaakova,
I am sorry for your pain. At least he was decent enough to tell you on the first date and not prolong matters. Think of the nice lunch and the lovely walk and that you were gifted with. I know it is easier said then done.
You deserve better then to be the rebound and certainly not to be the "other woman". I know you will find a man that deserves you and shares your morals and values.
Hang in there friend.

Monday, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Thank you, Maureen.
I agree; at least he had the decency to let me know right away.
Still, he was asking me to start an affair, which is far from respectful to me (or anyone else). Also, I can't help but wonder how many times he's done this before.
Not that it really matters.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so this one wasn't meant to be. You need to keep your head up and be proud that you went with it and gave it a shot. NO REGRETS, remember? Ok, so we regret that he's married and thinks it's ok to cheat on his wife cuz they're not happy. But really, no regrets that like bagel said, you are so wonderful that even the married ones are after you!

I see that I have missed more recent posts, but wanted to read this one first. Hope what I skimmed about a postman is good stuff! :) Hugs, me

Thursday, November 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home