My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Sunday, October 29, 2006

There's Something About Alain...

Because I evidently don't have Evan's high moral standards about blogging discretion, I'll dish about all the gory details of my love life for my readers' amusement!!

But first, let me say I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that the two readers who gave a "thumbs up" to the idea of my exploring things with Alain were the very two whom I had assumed would find it anathema for me to date a Jewish/Israeli man. (That's a laugh: it's out of my entire readership of 4 bloggers, or maybe 5!) Well, you know what they say about assuming!
Here's a little more info. about our introduction: I was shy and affected around him. Why is it that I can't seem to express myself openly when I'm around the very people with whom I want to do so? (OK, the last sentence was a grammatical nightmare. I don't even know how to begin repairing it, so I hope you got the gist.)

I said dumb things, like that I didn't know there were reform synagogues in Israel. He just looked at me like I was from outer space. I MEANT that I thought the Reform movement was an American phenomenon, and I DO know that there are roughly equivalent temples in Israel, but not exactly like American reform temples.

And when discussing food, he asked me if I like hummus. I blanked on what hummus is. How could I draw a blank on what hummus is??!! How embarrassing! I think that knowing what hummus is, is possibly even more of a prerequisite to making aliyah than visiting Israel!! I KNOW what it is (and I love it), but I had so many thoughts going through my mind at once (since this was all right after finding out he's Israeli), that I remember thinking: hummus--sesame tahini--garbanzo beans--chickpeas--baba ganouj-- I mean, there was an entire Middle-Eastern sampler platter going on in my head!

To make matters worse, I recommended that he purchase Sabra brand hummus from Publix (because it really is delicious), and (of course) I didn't mention that I DO know what a sabra is. I'm sure he just thinks I'm totally clueless. He replied that he won't be buying hummus at Publix, because he makes his own. (Who ever heard of making your own hummus?! THAT was news to me!)

It was an altogether humiliating -- or maybe just very humbling-- conversation. I had a LOT more confidence with him before discovering his nation of origin! Confidence is never a problem for me-- until I need it most!!

He did call to set a date: lunch, tomorrow. (Why not dinner??)
So now I'm shaving my legs, cleansing my pores, straightening my hair, fretting about what to wear, and all that fun stuff. I'm sure you know the drill.

We shall see how our lunch date goes. He probably thinks I'm the craziest goy he's ever met.
I think he may be right.

Stay tuned!
:)

2 Comments:

Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Good luck! I hope it goes well - and don't forget to keep us updated!

Sunday, October 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember to just be yourself and have a nice time. Don't be intimidated by him. Can't wait to hear!

Monday, October 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home