My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Spoiled

When I was a kindergarten teacher, from time to time I'd have to deal with spoiled children. I always judged their parents for this, and just knew that I would do things differently.

Yeah, right. I've had Shayna for a month today, and I assure you that I have done a terrible job of molding her character. She is the most spoiled and sassy cat that I've ever known. She bites, scratches, pounces, steals, usurps, runs away, and grabs. Tonight, this now 5 pound little hellion actually took away my soup spoon in her teeth and paws --while it was still in my hand! She knows no boundaries. She attacks me daily. My nose, cheeks and wrists look like battlegrounds. I have got to get some control.

The problem is, I think, that I was mourning so much when I took her in, and I was so refreshed by her vivacity, that I just couldn't bear to rein her in. I'm trying not to judge myself too harshly. She is still so adorable, so it's really hard to discipline her.

Today, I finally reached my limit. During a particularly painful biting and scratching session, I finally swatted her. Talk about shock and awe! She ran away so fast, and sat and looked offended and scared. I really don't believe in hitting animals (or anyone) unless it's absolutely necessary, and I must admit, it really wasn't necessary this morning.

So now I'm brainstorming about better ways. One is that I shouldn't hold her when she wants to get away. There are reasons I've been doing this (namely, so that she will stop harassing Monaco-- and when I shut her in my room, she wails), and another is that I must stop using my hand as a toy. Even if it's in a sock. She needs to learn that no part of my body is acceptable "attack material." The thing is, I definitely want her to view me as her nurturer, not someone who will hurt her. So I'm going to really try my best to set some limits and boundaries, and change the way we do things around here.

In other news, Monaco is doing MUCH better now, thank goodness. And Angel is fine too, though today she was an extremely bad girl and rolled around in dog poop. Oh, the joys...

I've lost 10 pounds since the new year, and still have 15 more to lose by March 16. Yikes.

I finally put the deposit down for the Israel trip, so Mom and I will be going on May 3rd. Yay! But in a sad note, my great-uncle has decided that he probably will not be coming with us. Such is life...
Here are the trip details, if anyone is curious. I think it looks like a good tour.

When we're in Eilat, I really want to go for a camel ride, and for a Bedouin tent dinner. If anyone has recommendations for either of those, let me know!

It's time for me to get back to work. Have a great tomorrow!

7 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Shayna sure sounds like more then 5 pounds worth of hellion! I have never had a cat or kitten, but I have heard a spritz bottle works well to break the bad behaviors. Shayna may get rather soaked, based on her antics!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007  
Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

wooooooooow, lucky you. i miss the days when my cat was a little baby...now she's a big meowing brat. and siamese, so the sound is doubled. have fun in eilat, i never made it there, but i hear it's both awesome and expensive! swim with dolphins!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007  
Blogger Maureen said...

Yaakova, where are you? I miss you my friend.

Monday, February 19, 2007  
Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

you make me sad because you disappear without a trace.

Friday, February 23, 2007  
Blogger Maureen said...

I second what Bagel said. Where are you? Do I have to have your picture put on milk cartons? POST or COMMENT, PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE!

Friday, February 23, 2007  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Precious Maureen, and Sweet Bagel chick,
I am so sorry for worrying you. I am fine, but working long and exhausting hours. Shayna is wonderful and healthy, and is growing up to be a a sweet and animated little kitty, and has become a bit better behaved. Monaco and Angel are fine, too.

I'm taking a break from blogging, and I will be sure to post comments on your blogs when I have time to start again. I hope you're both doing well!

Your blog-friend,
Yaakova :)

Saturday, February 24, 2007  
Blogger Maureen said...

Hi Yaakova,
I know u r not posting, but maybe u r reading. Just stopping in to say "Hello".

Sunday, March 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home