My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Trip to the Vet

Shayna's new-found pleasures:

*Attacking the cursor on my laptop
*Pouncing
*Following Monaco everywhere
*Attempting to eat Angel's kibble (which Angel allows)
*Playing some serious soccer
*Jumping around the bathtub while meowing (?)
*Climbing curtains and tapestries

It's been an adventure!
She's just so adorable, and her little spirit soars.

Yesterday was a very not fun time at the vet. This is in large part because for some reason I insist on taking my cats to the vet at an SPCA facility, in contrast to the very cushy vet who sees Angel. I'll try to explain this apparent discrepancy some other time. In any case, taking pets to the SPCA facility is comparable to a human going for an appointment at a public health clinic. Ever been to one of those? I didn't think so. Trust me, they're good places to steer clear of if at all possible.

So there we were, in "Pet Welfare Central." It was horrific, with all the barking, yelling and whatnot. I was mortified for Monaco, as she has quite the delicate and shy disposition. She responded to it all by becoming comatose. The kitten is a lot more gregarious, so she fared okay emotionally (I think).

I had to wait outside the office, because the racket inside after 15 minutes was bordering on outright cruelty--ironic, since it's the Society for the PREVENTION of Cruelty to Animals, but whatever...

We got in to see the vet, a Korean woman named Dr. Kim. She was thorough and expressive, but understanding her through her thick accent was something else altogether. She had something of an extreme hands-on approach with my kitties; I've never met such a direct vet in my life. I had given Monaco a very small amount of sedative prior to leaving the house, and Dr. Kim said "This cat: Not Okay! Too calm! Do not care when I handle! How much Ace [Acepromazine] you give?!"

What I wanted to respond was: Well Dr. Kim, 2 mg. of a sedative was the least I could do for her, considering you are prodding every part of her body, removing the tartar on her teeth with your fingernails (seriously!), giving her 2 kinds of ear wash and 2 shots, all in one visit! You're just lucky she didn't go into cardiac arrest!

What I DID respond was: "I think she's pretty grateful for those 2 mg. of Acepromazine about now..."

Shayna received a clean bill of health, though she has to go back twice more to complete her kitten shots.

As we were leaving, a Husky entered the reception area. And promptly had a grand mal epileptic seizure, right in front of me. I was yelling "Help! Get a vet!" It was awful; at first I thought he was dying. Foaming at the mouth, urine everywhere, jerking around uncontrollably on the floor. Beyond scary, and sad. I made sure the vet techs would mention it to the vet(because the family kept saying "Oh, he just gets nervous when he goes to new places.") Anyway, it was a jarring ending to a difficult appointment. We're all glad it's over. I was so shook up that I had a glass of wine to calm my nerves.

Shayna had a fever last night --from the massive amount of vaccinations, no doubt-- But she recovered to regale us all with her antics at around 3 a.m.

Monaco on the other hand is faring poorly. The eardrops have caused her to be unsteady on her feet and she keeps losing her balance. She can barely even jump up onto the sofa without tipping over. Actually, she does fall over, as soon as she gets on the couch or anywhere else. Pitiful. I left a message for the pleasant Dr. Kim..

4 Comments:

Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

i still think bagel would've been the perfect name.

yeah, when i'm nervous in new places, i usually pee all over myself and try to swallow my tongue--perfectly normal...

Thursday, January 11, 2007  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Bagel chick:
Re. the seizure: Isn't that appalling? Just pretending it's not a big deal?

And another tidbit: While the cats and I were waiting in the relative quiet of the outdoors, a rambunctious family came and disturbed our peace. Then their dog lifted his leg and peed right on it's owner. On purpose.
It was just a lovely trip to the vet.
And of course it cost me $250. For some reason, I never get out of there paying less than that!

Maybe YOU should get a kitten and name it Bagel!

Friday, January 12, 2007  
Blogger Maureen said...

Oy, what a horrible experience. The SPCA vet hospitals sure don't look like that on Animal Planet! Is Monaco doing better?

Friday, January 12, 2007  
Blogger Maureen said...

What's been going on in Yaakova's world? Time for an update!

Saturday, January 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home