My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Home For the Holidays

Hi All,
Truffle and I arrived safely in St. John, US Virgin Islands yesterday. Already, I'm feeling my mental health improve. It's great to be with family, and I'm too busy to think about Indy's passing very much. It's hot here, but hey, who am I to complain? Especially since my family is fighting over me :). It's good to be home.

Last night I stayed at my brother's house, which meant sharing a king-sized bed with my niece (age 4), and nephew (age 6). It seems like such a big bed should hold us with no problem, but I had forgotten that my nephew becomes some kind of gymnast as soon as he falls asleep! He's not an easy person to share a bed with, with all the dramatic flailing, kicking and moving from one end of the bed to the other. And of course they wanted me to sleep in the middle, "so they could snuggle" me. Oh well, at least it's nice to be loved, even if I got no sleep! But tonight I'm definitely staying at Mom's house instead.

Today was spent with the kids, doing various fun crafts-- assembling a gingerbread train, etc. And tomorrow will be more of the same- these kids have high expectations of our time! Tonight, Mom had her annual Christmas party at the gallery, a success as always. :) (If you would like to view my mom's artwork and gallery, you can visit www.coconutcoaststudios.com.)

I'll be trying to get to St. Thomas on Friday for the last candle lighting of Hanukkah, at the BEAUTIFUL St. Thomas synagogue. I'll write more about that later!

Hope you're all enjoying your Hanukkah and/or Christmas season. And what the heck, I'm feeling generous: if you're African-American, I hope you're enjoying Kwanzaa, and if you're Muslim, I hope you recently passed a PEACEFUL Ramadan. Note the emphasis on 'peaceful.' :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

It sounds divine. And you seem infinitely better! YAY!! If only we could bottle the cure-all effects of family!
Enjoy the rest of your vacation and keep writing if you can.
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006  
Blogger Jany said...

Yaacova,
happy Hanukkah and merry christams to you.
You sound much better now, enjoy your holidays and relax as much as you can!

Friday, December 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have a nice final few days to your break. Chin up Yaakova,
Bagel

Visit: Bagelblogger

Monday, December 25, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Hi Maureen,
It's been great! I even got a day of beach time, which can be a rare gift! I'll be heading home the day after tomorrow, and will blog more then.

Jany,
I'm feeling better, and even relaxed. I hope you've enjoyed the holidays too!

bagel blogger,
Thanks for both your comments. How are you and your family holding up?

Tuesday, December 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home