My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Thursday, December 07, 2006

A Family Christmas

OK, so I've put this off as long as I could. Time to write about going home for the holidays.
I'll be making my annual pilgrimage to St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands, just 12 days from today. I'll stay with my family, which means I'll stay with my mom until we have our traditional holiday blow-up, then I'll go and stay with my brother and his wife, sleeping in their children's playroom.

I have a great time with my family every Christmas, even though I don't believe it's spiritually correct to:

  • Use a Christmas tree, since that's just a pagan tradition
  • Celebrate the birth of Jesus in December, since He was probably born in an entirely different season
  • Commercialize the Advent of Jesus

Having made these excellent points, let me just admit that I am the biggest hypocrite and transgressor of these ideals that's ever existed. I'm shameless. My family has to beg me --to no avail, of course-- to stop buying so many gifts. People in the airplanes "tsk, tsk" me, as I schlep into the cabin with rideable toys and 5-foot-long train sets in tow. I kid you not. On more than one occasion, I've even brought live Christmas trees on the plane.

And my hypocrisy has of course multiplied exponentially with the birth of my precious niece and nephew, T.J. (6) and Lily (4). I will deny them nothing. For several years now, our family has fostered the idea that I am:

A.) Mickey Mouse's girlfriend (because I live in Orlando, but what on earth does Minnie Mouse think of this setup?!), and

B.) Close personal friends with Santa Claus. So if the kids are misbehaving, I get on the phone with them and say: "Have you been good? Because Santa and I will be talking later on..." and they instantly change their behavior.

These lies are made all the easier by their living on a tiny island, so all of the toys have to be sent in-- some by Yours Truly. I'd like to say I'm repentant of this obnoxious trail of materialism and deceit, but I can't stop!!! I'm sure I need a 12-Step Program.

Anyway, in case you're wondering, I was raised in St. Croix, in the Virgin Islands. I was born in California, and my family moved to the VI when I was 8 years old. My mother bought and administrated a Montessori school there (in addition to the one she owned in California), and my father was an inter-island airline pilot. It was a very interesting place to grow up. It's beautiful and has tons of history, but some pretty bad things also happened back in the 70s and 80s on the island of St. Croix.

Going "home," as I call it, really isn't going home at all, since I never actually lived on the island of St. John. But since that's where my family has lived for about 20 years, it feels almost as much like home as St. Croix. Well, not really. But it does have the benefit of being a safer and even more picturesque island, and lacks the intense emotional baggage that St. Croix holds for me, so in a way it's better this way.

Anyway, I'll be trying my best to blog while I'm there, although I tend to stay very busy with family functions and spending time with the little ones. But many interesting things always seem to happen there, so I intend to take my blog friends along on a virtual vacation!

Incidentally, the island's hotel rooms fill up with a kajillion Jewish visitors during the weeks just before and after Christmas-- Is anyone in the Jblogosphere going to be in St. John?! If so, I'd love to meet you!

3 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Your holiday actually sounds wonderful! After your last visit with your mom, you may make it the whole time at your mom's house.
I can't get over the stuff you take on the plane with you! Have fun going thru security this year! If I was behind you, I admit, I would be cursing under my breath!!!
I wish I was going to be in the Virgin Islands for the holidays or anywhere warm and vacation-like for that matter!

Are you taking Truffle home with you?

Thursday, December 07, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Maureen--
But you ARE coming to the Virgin Islands, through the blog!!! I'll try to provide lots of juicy details.

Yes, I'll be taking Truffle home to Mom. She will be with me in the cabin! She has a harness thing that says "Service dog in training." Honest? Not very. Ethical? I think so. (15% of pets in the cargo hold die during flights. I will not risk this with my precious pets.)
Truffle is a little love. You were right when you predicted that it' will be hard to let her go, especially now that she's doing so much better, and can go on walks, swimming, etc. For the first 1.5 months it was pretty intense veterinary care. But now that she's in the "slow physical therapy" stage, it's really fun having her around. She has some funny puppy antics-- for example, she attacks my clothes when I'm getting dressed, and tries to pull them off of me. It's really cute, except when they're work clothes and I'm in a hurry!
How have you been physically? How is your work schedule? If you ever need a break, I have a guest room that you're welcome to use for free! Granted, it's all set up like a little girl's princess room, but still-- it's free! I live about 40 minutes north of Disney World.
Food for thought. :)

Thursday, December 07, 2006  
Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Lol! You are a total nut! You make me laugh sooo much, I can't believe you have taken christmas trees on a plane with you!!
I miss you so much when you don't blog, noone comes close to you for a few good laughs - you are a real gem.

I hope you get the occassional chance to get to a computer to blog, if you don't I look forward to your stories when you get back. Have a fantastic holiday and I hope there are no 'blow-ups' this year.
:D

Thursday, December 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home