My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Monday, November 27, 2006

Hee hee... my female readers will enjoy this!

WALKING 5 PACES BEHIND

Barbara Walters of 20/20 (USA-ABC Television) did a story
on gender roles in Kabul, Afghanistan, several years before
the Afghan conflict. She noted that women customarily
walked 5 paces behind their husbands.

She recently returned to Kabul and observed that women
still walk behind their husbands. From Ms. Walters's
vantage point, despite the overthrow of the oppressive
Taliban regime, the women now seem to walk even further
behind their husbands and are happy to maintain the old custom.

Ms. Walters approached one of the Afghani women and asked,
"Why do you now seem happy with the old custom that you
once tried so desperately to change?"

The woman looked into Ms. Walters' eyes,
and without hesitation, said,
"Land mines."

2 Comments:

Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Lol, very funny!

Monday, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Maureen said...

That's hilarious!! I am SOOOOO glad you are back!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home