My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Thursday, November 02, 2006

They've stolen my identity!!

That's just a joke.. but it's how I felt when I decided to google 'Yaakova,' and discovered that other people are in fact using my blogger name! And not only that; they appear to have been using it all their lives!! How did I not know this?! I can't believe I didn't do a google search before.

The truth is, it's really comforting that some Jewish and Israeli women are named Yaakova. Knowing that really helps me feel more comfortable with putting it on my aliyah paperwork. One of the Yaakovas is a writer, whose surname is Sacerdoti, and it looks as though she writes in Hebrew and English?? Or teaches Hebrew? I'm not really sure; translators may have been involved. Another Yaakova seems to be a pillar of the community in New York, who organized a nice fundraising event to benefit Jewish weddings. The really funny thing is that there's a wedding announcement for a young woman named Arielle Yaakova Epstein online, and in Israel, I'd probably change my surname to Epstein, which was my mom's maiden name. So look out Arielle, there may be two of us soon! (sort of...) :)

Obviously, I have too much time on my hands this evening...

3 Comments:

Blogger Baleboosteh said...

How weird!
Looks like you will have to change your profile now from 'my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up' to 'Oh, I just copied a whole heap of other people with the name Yaakova'

LOL!! Just joking!
It is amazing what you can find out with google.

Thursday, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

BB--
I know! now I'll have to change my profile, even though I really did make the name up myself-- or so I thought! I asked several Israelis about the name Yaakova before deciding to use it, and they said they'd never heard if it; that Yaakov was not a name that people would feminize. Well, well... Looks like they were mistaken!!

Friday, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Baleboosteh said...

I know! I remember you saying that on your other blog!

Saturday, November 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home