My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Well, what to say...

Thinking about Simon, I guess I just have a feeling that he's a bit shallow. He comes on strong, but I don't think there's a lot of substance beneath the initial advances.

Also, he and I really don't share a lot of common ground. We have enough to spend some time together, but not enough to sustain a long-term relationship. The area that we do share is our interest in international topics-- His bachelor's degree was in international business; mine was in international studies with a concentration in international marketing. We both love to travel (but who doesn't?), and we both enjoy being involved in the more cosmopolitan scene.

These are nice things to have in common with a friend. But more than that? I doubt it. I didn't even go into detail about my faith, my love for Israel, etc. I know from experience that bringing up those topics too early can be show-stoppers, so I just avoided them.

Do you know what's nice? Having the inner strength to be able to not get emotionally involved with someone, just because he's available and looks like a good catch. Believe me, it wasn't always this way! I used to feel a lot more pressure --from within and from society-- to "just get married, already." Now, I don't feel that way at all. So I'll keep my options open. But in the meantime, I just might date Simon for a bit. (If he contacts me, which he hasn't since yesterday.) I guess companionship can be nice, even if there's no future in it.

On to a much more emotional topic: I dropped Truffle off for her second surgery this morning. It's so sad; she really is a sweet puppy. (Even if she did destroy all her dog toys, a framed painting, a beloved bird-bath and some wood objects. So far.)

The great news is that her other surgery is healing really well: none of the 6 screws holding the bone plate in place have become loose, as can happen if a dog is too active after the surgery. This was very welcome news, because as anyone knows who has had a puppy, it's really hard to keep them still!!! She has to be relatively inactive for 8 to 12 weeks after the surgeries.. And you know I'll try my best, but she does get away from me sometimes!

She will have her surgery today, and I'll pick her up tomorrow afternoon. They don't let her take any personal items (dog toys, blankets), so the poor girl will not have anything comforting around her. Granted, she'll probably be too drugged-up to notice, but still.. If my pelvic bone had just been sawed into six pieces, I'd want a little comfort. Poor baby!

Time for a happier topic: While waiting for the vet to call, I went shopping. I purchased some inexpensive serving platters to replace those I broke after Yom Kippur, and also found nice, very inexpensive shabbat candleholders. Can anyone tell me if it's okay to use crystal candleholders? My current silver-plated ones are ready for the recycling bin; all the silver-plate is coming off. I can't remember seeing people use anything other than silver for shabbat candleholders, but I don't see why one couldn't. Please let me know!

I also bought a brass menorah-- can you believe, a solid brass menorah for $8.99?! Gotta love Old Time Pottery!! The menorah is very simple; nothing fancy, but it's big enough, at 10" tall and 8.5" wide. Angel is checking it out-- she approves!

I hope you are all having a nice day out there.

6 Comments:

Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

alas, my menorah is but some weird combination of crappy metals and is adorned with dried wax all down the sides. and since the population of jews in idaho is something akin to -5, i'm gonna go with...never going to be able to get a new one for cheap.=(

as to simon--keep your head up. if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. if nothing else, he sounds like a good last-minute party date??

Wednesday, November 01, 2006  
Blogger Maureen said...

Bagel, my cousin and her daughter live in Idaho, so there may be -3, unless of course you know them and have counted them already!
Y, I LOVE Old Time Pottery! It is one of my favorite hangouts!
As for Simon...when my friend's daughter met her now fiance a couple of years ago, she didn't even like him. They had nothing in common. They started just hanging around a bit, then a bit more, etc... Voila - she fell in love with him! They are planning an awesome wedding. So, you never know. Slow and steady wins the race.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Bagelchick and Mo:
Yeah, I don't think the Simon thing is meant to be. He's all smoke and mirrors.
No worries! I still have you guys, not to mention Old Time Pottery!!
BTW, how do you like your new nicknames? :)

Thursday, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Maureen said...

Y, Noone, except my friend Mary calls me Mo. Ben calls me either Aunt Womie or Mojo. Other friends call me Moweenie. I have even answered to "hey you" and
"Yo, Bi*@h!" My nickname of choice over the years has been Reenie. But, this is your blog, so whatever works for you! Call me anything but "late for dinner!"

Thursday, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Maureen--
Then Maureen it is! I like your real name best. :)
I know it's not a big deal, but I'm really glad you wrote about the nickname thing!

Thursday, November 02, 2006  
Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

bagelchick....masha'llah, it works. i enjoy both baby chickens and bagels.

Thursday, November 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home