My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Very interesting...

Today my company sent me an interesting "lead." A "lead" is a potential client, who I need to contact. And hopefully sell something to, or list their property for sale. All regular real estate stuff.

But this lead was different for me, because he's from Saudi Arabia, doing business in Kuwait. He is (or appears to be) the Principal in a major corporation with very major holdings, though of course I won't mention names. I was going to return the lead to my broker and say "no thanks." But then I was required to explain why I'm refusing this incredible lead. (Gentle readers, please just guess why, don't make me spell it out...)

As I was writing my "no thanks" email, I realized that I'm the only one in the office who would be able to turn it into a sale. Actually, that's not true: there's someone far more capable than me, who trained me, but he won't do business with Arabs. (No, he's not Jewish either.) So basically, either I do this, or our office loses the lead. So because of this (and since I didn't want to explain to my broker why I wouldn't accept the lead), I decided to give it a shot, and see how it goes.

To be honest, this guy probably won't even want to work with a female Realtor. But I went ahead and accepted the lead, and have done a bunch of work for Mr. So-and-So today.
I felt pretty conflicted. But then, after I accepted the lead and did all the work (yes, after! I swear!), I decided to take a quick look at the money I'd make.

Oh my goodness. Boy oh boy.

I'd most likely make somewhere between $100,000 and $306,000 on this single transaction.

Do you know what that would do for my ability to make aliyah??!!

Maybe being this guy's Realtor wouldn't be so bad.

(I'm such a martyr!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. If this is seriously going to help you make Aliyah, then maybe it is not so bad?!

Good luck, I hope it goes well. Keep us informed. Does he know he is dealing with a woman yet?


BTW: I have done the meme, have you had a look yet??

Tuesday, December 05, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

BB-
Yes, he must know I'm a woman, because of my name, and my photo was on a later email to him.

But interestingly, he has not responded to my emails yet. I don't know why. Maybe because I'm a woman, or it could be a million other reasons.

I loved your meme! I wrote you a long message about it, but blogger keeps deleting my messages to you. I think you must have upgraded to the new system?? (Did you?) I remember EmahS had the same problem when she used the Blogger Beta. But I'll sign as "other," and my response should show up then.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006  
Blogger Maureen said...

Y, don't feel bad about this business dealing. If not you, then someone else. It is an ironic twist of fate if the money from an Arab will make your Aliyah easier, then you get the last laugh. The proverbial laughing all the way to the bank.
Go for it and GOOD LUCK!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

Maureen-
Thanks! Great advice.
I recall Alain (you remember, the Israeli guy who turned out to be married)-- Anyway, he really shocked me by saying he has no problem with it representing Arabs. If he can do it, I guess I can, too!

(Possibly a moot point since my new client isn't even responding to my communication.)

Tuesday, December 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home