My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a woman who is considering emigration from the USA to Israel. I'm not Jewish, but have enough of a Jewish background to be allowed under the Israeli Law of Return. I am a zionist, but sadly, as a child my main understanding about my family's background was being taught by my grandfather about the Holocaust, and that these were "my people." I wasn't raised with any cultural or religious traditions other than regular American ones. BTW, my real name is not Yaakova--I made the name up. (But I must say, it has a nice ring to it!)

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Yet another cocktail party, etc.

So I went to a real estate party tonight (and will go to another tomorrow night, and so on), and actually enjoyed myself. This was despite the presence of ever-obnoxious-and-ubiquitous Rick, the tacky-and-uncouth Realtor who I've blogged about before.

The food was a simple yet tasty selection of cold cuts and sandwiches, cookies and fruit, as well as the obligatory wine and beer bar. But what made the event worthwhile was meeting a really nice couple. The woman is a fellow Realtor, and she brought her husband along, who is an engineer.

We had so much to talk about! She's interested in breaking into commercial R.E. (real estate), so I offered her whatever few tips I could. We talked about tons of stuff-- from energy sources (Did you know that astrophysicists are working right now to develop an energy source from a substance supplied from the moon? Neither did I!!), to the Bible, to ...my ex-boyfriend, who they know! Gulp. Discovering that sure started an interesting tangent in our conversation! They are politically supportive of Israel, and we talked about my plans re. aliyah as well. (Take that, ex-boyfriend! I hope they tell him everything.) Anyway, it was a good evening, and I hope I'll see them again. The Realtor and I exchanged business cards, so perhaps we'll meet up for lunch, or at another party. We'll see.

I have very good news about Truffle, my mom's dog. She went for her 4 week x-ray check-up today, and everything looks good. It's such a relief! The bones are fusing nicely, her incision spots are healing, and it's time for her to start swimming and walking a little! Yay!!! It's been awfully boring for the dogs to never leave the yard. In fact, starting last week, I felt so bad for them that I've been taking them for long car rides. I've done this 3 times now, and with the price of gas, I really can't keep it up! So hearing that Truffle can now start some low-impact exercise to regain muscle mass was welcome news indeed.

I'll confess something here. I pray that my mom isn't reading this, and that my great-uncle doesn't alert her to it (got that, Elliott? ;)) One morning last week, Truffle and Angel got out of the yard. I should have been supervising them, but I came inside for a minute, and that's all it took. It had been a windy night, and the wind had blown the gate open. The dogs ran around the block, crossed a fairly busy street, and were frolicking in someone's yard and reveling in their all-around horrid behavior. A kind and observant (and much appreciated) neighbor saw them and drove over to my house to tell me, where he found me already frantic and in my car, after driving around and not finding the dogs. But they were perfectly fine, it was just a close call.

I was so scared and mad at them that I left them in the car in the (cool) dark garage for half an hour. I hope they could tell I was angry by my glaring at them and slamming the door. Yep, the silent treatment is what they got. Of course, when I came back to let them out they were sleeping contentedly, so I don't know if I got my point across, but doing it made me feel better anyway.

The long and short of it is that I was afraid the running and playing had impeded Truffle's bone fusion process, since she was doing the very things that are forbidden. But as it turns out, she's o.k.!

Thanks for tuning in.

3 Comments:

Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Naughty Naughty. They tend to misbehave more than usual when there is 2 of them! They are just like little kids.
I am glad you found them ok and that truffle is healing well, it must be a relief.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006  
Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

least you didn't leave the car on on accident..

glad everything's going well. thanks for coming back, i was getting worried;].

Wednesday, November 29, 2006  
Blogger Yaakova said...

BB-
You haven't written about Amber's upcoming surgery for awhile, but I know it's in December.
My concerns about Truffle, a dog, are so small in comparison with the major surgery your little one has to go through; I am humbled by your thoughtfulness whenever I think of what's ahead for you and Amber. Thank you so much.

BagelChick-
Re. "thanks for coming back..": Like you gave me a choice, you cheeky girl! You, Baleboosteh and Maureen all coerced me into writing.
"Help, help, I'm being oppressed!" (In case you don't know, that's a fabulous line from Monty Python's The Holy Grail. Hope you get the joke! :))

Thursday, November 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home